From: Sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel recompile?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:10:32
1 Pawel Kraszewski wrote:
2 >
3 > No. In this case you'd need new NVidia kernel driver each time kernel's
4 > version changes.
5 >
6 > During installation NVidia's kernel module (in compiler's meaning - .o file
7 > provided by NVidia) is linked against a freshly compiled stub adopting it to
8 > running kernel and making kernel module (in kernel's meaning - .ko file).
9 >
10 > If you compile kernel and kernel module (.ko) with different compilers, you'll
11 > get 'invalid module format' and modprobe/insmod fails.
14 Since my gcc upgrade all my modules fail on boot with an error of
15 version magic '2.6.16-gentoo-r9 SMP gcc-4.1' should be
16 '2.6.16.16-gentoo-r9 SMP gcc-3.4'
17
18 However when I try to start the rebuild of my kernel it stops just after
19 starting with the line
20
21 'if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F
22 System.map 2.6.16-gentoo-r9; fi'
23
24 any ideas on the cause?
25 --