From: Peter Martin <pjmartin@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can't mount cdrom?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 01:59:56
1 Drake Donahue wrote:
4 > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Martin" <pjmartin@×××××.ca>
5 > To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
6 > Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 6:03 PM
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can't mount cdrom?
12 >> Drake Donahue wrote:
13 >>
14 >>> <snipping>
15 >>>
16 >>>> etc/fstab has;
17 >>>> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user 0 0
18 >>>
19 >>> <snipping>
20 >>> as Peter Humphrey correctly pointed out,
21 >>>
22 >>>> That no longer works here; /dev/hdc works though.
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>> so change to:
26 >>> dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user 0 0
29 > i trust you caught my typo - missing / in
30
31 yes
34 > /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user 0 0
35 >
36 > I just tried this (with out rebooting) and the fault is still the
37 > same, but now 'mount' is reporting the fault is with /dev/hdc instead
38 > of /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
41 > The error now is:
42 > "Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc, or too
43 > many mounted file systems."
44 > ?
45
46 yes
47
48 > The cd is an ide/ata type not scsi or usb or sata or 1394 or ?
49
50 I believe your right. it is ide.
53 > reboot not needed here, might try auto vice iso9660,(which should
54 > change nothing)
55 >
56 > it looks like you need to: (section 7.c)
57 > cd /usr/src/linux
58 > make menuconfig
59 > and take a hard look at device drivers and file systems
60
61 I spent some time this after noon line by line going through "make
62 menueconfig'
65 > if lspci will run, any thing it has to say about the cd would be
66 > useful, it is part of the package pciutils
67 >
68 I didn't see anything conciquential in lspci, but the first part
69 scrolled off the screen.
70
71 I occures to me that there may be a relationship with my boot time
72 problem. In the beginning when I booted off the disk the unit would hang
73 trying to auto configer the hardware. So at the boot prompt I put;
74 gentoo nodetect
75 I assumed that the problem was because I have 3 TV tuner cards (2
76 different makes) plugged in, and don't have the driver software yet.
77 Maybe I should remove the cards and do a reboot from CD?
80 >>>
81 >>>
82 >>> and all should be well
86 >> --