From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hyper-threading an AMD64 3800+
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 03:44:33
1 On 06/11/2009 01:35 AM, Greg wrote:
2 > One final thought / question / observation along the same lines...
3 >
4 > This is what got me started on this line of thinking / research...
5 >
6 > I have experimented with posix threads and find repeatedly that even a multi-threaded application yields results the same
7 > as if I have coded a non-multi-threaded application.
8 >
9 > If I need to give examples, I shall later, but basicly, I code with pthreads.h in C a simple counting thread which reports
10 > its thread number and the count. I then set main to spawn multiple threads, and in the threads, each has a random sleep in
11 > between printfs to show the thread / count.
12 >
13 > I even put in flushes to make sure the results weren't due to a printf buffering issue.
14 >
15 > Each and every result was of a thread counting in sequence before going to the next thread. No sleep states were put in
16 > the main program. It simple spawned a bunch of threads back to back, and then waited for them to "join".
17 >
18 > Is this normal? I thought even under a uniprocessor machine the threads were to time-slice like on a multicore.
19