From: Neil Stone <neil@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Converting movie files to DVD format
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:09:53
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Mark Haney wrote:
5 > Duncan wrote:
6 >
7 >> Mark Haney posted <43C65F25.8000906@××××××××××××.org>, excerpted
8 >> below, on Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:52:37 -0500:
12 >>> I googled this and found a nice HOWTO on the Gentoo Wiki, but it's a
13 >>> couple years old. Are there any new tools to automate converting movie
14 >>> files (.avi, etc) to DVD format, even DVD ISO format?
15 >>>
18 >> You didn't post the link and I'm too lazy to do the search myself to
19 >> check if it's listed or not, but definitely checkout k3b if you
20 >> haven't. It can do a lot of conversions on-the-fly. If it can't do
21 >> them on-the-fly
22 >> to actually burn, because the CPU simply isn't powerful enough for the
23 >> conversion to keep up with the burn, it can create the ISO in tmpspace
24 >> and
25 >> then burn it when it's done, if desired, pretty much automatically. Yes,
26 >> it DOES handle DVDs, now (it may not have a couple years ago as that's
27 >> about the time Mandrake contributed the patches, IIRC).
30 > I didn't think to post the link, my bad.
31 >
32 >> I haven't actually used k3b for video conversion, but I've used it for
33 >> on-the-fly MP3 to CDA conversion, to burn CDs playable in a regular CD
34 >> player, and it worked well. I know it's supposed to handle video as
35 >> well,
36 >> just haven't tried it.
37 >>
38 >> The biggest downside is if you don't have KDE merged, it'll require
39 >> kdelibs and perhaps part of kdebase, in addition to all the transcode
40 >> stuff you'll probably want to enable via USE flags. However, it's
41 >> generally considered /the/ way to go for that sort of thing, even if you
42 >> have to merge some KDE stuff just for it. There's simply nothing else
43 >> that does what it does, in such a simple and intuitive way.
47 > This isn't a downside as I run KDE anyway. Thanks for the reply.
52 personally I use any2vob to convert the .avi or whatever to .vob files..
53 then use qdvdauthor to make the DVD.. then k3b to burn it...
54
55 it might be a long way around, but it works...
64 --
65 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list