From: Pascal BERTIN <pascal.bertin@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] HTPC, 64 or 32 bits?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:19:45
1 Andreas Vinsander a écrit :
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Just assembled the hardware for my new toy, an HTPC with an athlon64 X2
5 > CPU.
6 >
7 > Right now I am contemplating if I should install 64 or 32 bit gentoo on it.
8 > It's main purpose should be to act as a DVR for DVB recording, and a bit
9 > of mail reading and web surfing... and quite possibly a bit of gaming...
10 >
11 > I'm also pondering what software to use, MythTV, Freevo or something else?
12 >
13 > Anyone having some advice?
14 >
15 > /Andreas
16 Hi
17
18 Me, I've been running mythtv on a 64 bit gentoo for around two years now.
19 I had a few problems at the beginning, but now, my systems needs very few (if any) ~amd64
20 packages, and it is very stable.
21
22 about the benefits, In fact I went 64 bits because I found it would be fun. I don't know
23 if I really benefit from this.
24 As I don't read a WMV or similar, I use the 64 bit version of mplayer. But you might want
25 mplayer-bin.
26
27 I don't know freevo, so I can't really give advices on the choice. My only complaints
28 would be that MythTV now does not evolve quickly, and that some features I really miss
29 have been marked 'won't do' on their wiki.
30
31 But apart from this, It's great. (I only have a single capture card plugged in, but I'll
32 try to add another one soon, and then //feel the real power of an HTPC// ;-)
33
34 Pascal
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list