From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:12:49
1 Duncan posted on Fri, 28 Jun 2013 03:36:10 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > So now I guess I send this and do some more testing of real device, now
4 > that you've provoked my curiosity and I have the 50 GB (mostly)
5 > pseudorandom file sitting in tmpfs already. Maybe I'll post those
6 > results later.
7
8 Well, I decided to use something rather smaller, both because I wanted to
9 run it against my much smaller btrfs partitions on the ssd, and because
10 the big file was taking too long for the benchmarks I wanted to do in the
11 time I wanted to do them.
12
13 I settled on a 4 GiB file. Speeds are power-of-10-based since that's
14 what dd reports, unless otherwise stated. Sizes are power-of-2-based
15 unless otherwise stated. This was filesystem-layer-based, not direct to
16 device, and single I/O task, plus whatever the system might have had
17 going on in the background.
18
19 Also note that after reading the dd manpage, I added the conv=fsync
20 parameter, hoping that gave me more accurate speed ratings due to the
21 reducing the write-caching.
22
23 SSD speeds, dual Corsair Neutron n256gp3 SATA-600 ssds, running btrfs
24 raid1 data and metadata:
25
26 To SSD: peak was upper 250s MB/s over a wide blocksize range of 1 MiB to
27 1GiB. I believe the btrfs checksumming might lower speeds here somewhat,
28 as it's quite lower than the rated 450 MB/s sequential write speed.
29
30 From SSD: peak was lower 480s MB/s, blocksize 32 KiB to 512 KiB (smaller
31 blocksize range but much smaller block than I expected). This is MUCH
32 better, far closer to the 540 MB/s ratings.
33
34 To/from SSD: At around 220 MB/s, peak was somewhat lower than write-only
35 peak, as might be expected. Best-case blocksize range seemed to be 256
36 KiB to 2 MiB.
37
38 So, best mixed-access case would seem to be a blocksize near 1 MiB.
39
40 I did a few timed cps also, then did the math to confirm the dd numbers.
41 They were close enough.
42
43 Spinning rust speeds, single Seagate st9500424as, 7200rpm 2.5" 16MB
44 buffer SATA-300 disk drive, reiserfs. Tests were done on a partition
45 located roughly 40% thru the drive. I didn't test this one as closely
46 and didn't do rust-to-rust tests at all, but:
47
48 To rust: upper 70s MB/s, blocksize didn't seem to matter much.
49
50 From rust: upper 90s MB/s, blocksize upto 4 MiB.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman