From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] upgrade an old system
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:40:14
1 I need to bring up-to-date a Sempron gentoo box (march=k8) which was not
2 updated for more than one year. At first I was hoping to use the binpkg
3 generated on my main system (Athlon64 X2, march=athlon64) to do a quick
4 update, but the arch's are not compatible.
5
6 So I started an emerge -uDv system, it complained about linux-utils
7 blocking coreutils, I unmerged the first one but had to interrupt the
8 emerge with a shutdown, then the system failed to boot due to missing
9 'mount' executable...
10
11 What I'll do now is boot from CD, save the old /etc, reinstall the
12 system from a recent stage3, then use distcc to do a quicker emerge
13 world. But while the main system has gcc-4.3.2, the stage3 contains
14 gcc-4.2.1. According to distcc instructions, gcc should be the same
15 version on all systems. So I probably need to update the gcc on the old
16 system before starting the distcc. This will be LONG.
17
18 Any other options I have?
19
20 thanks,