From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 06:03:48
Stan Sander wrote:
> Wednesday 08 December 2010 > > > >>> One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from >>> the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static >>> instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more >>> compatible. >>> >>> Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently. >>> >>> Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great. >>> >>> Cheers, >>> Mark >>> >>> >>> >> Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I made a note of it. I certainly >> don't want that to mess up. lol >> >> Dale >> >> :-) :-) >> >> > In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the IA32 Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able to execute grub at all. It's under file formats / Emulations in the menu. > >
Glad you posted this. I looked at the USE flags for grub not a package called grub-static. That seems to be two different beasts. I never knew that package existed. Would emerging the plain grub with the static USE flag give the same results? I would think not else they would just have one package but am curious just the same. Thanks. Dale :-) :-)