From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gcc 4.1.1
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:37:10
1 "Lorenzo Milesi" <lorenzo.milesi@×××××.com> posted
2 29c147bd0606010315oc21155bi6aed93aa2f343ef6@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:15:38 +0200:
4
5 > Last week gcc 4.1.1 got unmasked.
6 > Someone of you already upgraded?
7
8 Hehe, upgraded to 4.0.0 when it came out, then the alphas for
9 4.0.1 as they came out (since they right away fixed some
10 critical 4.0.0 issues), then 4.0.1-4.0.3 as they came out. Upgraded to
11 4.1.0 when it came out, and 4.1.1 too. eselect compiler switches between
12 the various slots as necessary, but I've been using the latest upstream
13 full release as my default system compiler since 4.0.1, and was using the
14 latest 4.0.1-weekly-snapshot previous to that since 4.0.0. Only when I
15 had problems with the latest upstream release (or snapshot between 4.0.0
16 and 4.0.1) have I reverted to earlier versions, altho early in the 4.x
17 series there was quite a bit of that as 4.0 was as usual rather stricter
18 than the previous versions and therefore caused ebuild failures for a fair
19 sized list of packages, until they were patched to be 4.x compatible.
20
21 Somewhere along the line I even did the emerge --emptytree world thing, I
22 think with 4.1.0. Anyway, all my 4.x upgrade and compatibility issues are
23 long since behind me, months ago, and the 4.1 series has actually proven
24 far more stable for me than any previous series since the original gcc
25 hammer/amd64/x86_64 support, back with 3.2 IIRC. =8^)
26
27 > I did it this week, and actually I'm having troubles with Boinc and
28 > Gaim. Gaim has stopped working just this morning, as I recompiled glibc
29 > with gcc4. :(
30 >
31 > Anyone had the same experience?
32
33 Not here, at least not since the 4.0 series was the latest upstream
34 release timeframe.
35
36 BTW, the 4.1 series is IMO the biggest jump in gcc efficiency for amd64
37 since the -march=k8 support got added in 3.3. As the first rewrite that
38 had amd64 factored in from the beginning, not bolted onto the side, the
39 4.x series in general had the potential, but the 4.0 series was mainly
40 targeted at not having too many regressions for the basic rewrite, so was
41 actually lower efficiency in some cases. 4.1 finally sees that potential
42 blossoming, and things are /dramatically/ faster with it. At least, that
43 has been my feeling/experience.
44
45 That's in addition to being the most stable gcc series yet, in terms of
46 amd64 support, from my experience. (YMMV of course, particularly if you
47 have widely differing USE flags than I do and/or a widely differing world
48 list.
49
50 While there will certainly be upgrade pains, once they are over, I hope
51 everyone has as smooth a sail as I've had!
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
61 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list