From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel Cryptographic API
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 01:03:33
1 Hello,
2
3 I just installed Gentoo on a new Core i7 based machine. After doing a bit
4 of research on the best compile flags to use for this processor, I came
5 across the advice to enable the kernel cryptograhic API. It seems that
6 the kernel can make good use of the SSE 4.2 instruction set on the Core i7
7 to do the cryptographic work.
8
9 My system is mainly a desktop workstation that is used for business/home
10 functions such as word processing, database work, image processing, audio
11 processing, custom programming etc. There is no networking involved other
12 than a DHCP link to an ISP.
13
14 I suppose that in my case the cryptographic API would be useless. Are the
15 kernel crypto routines used by any common software, or are they limited to
16 IPsec and other similar things? Does openssl or pz7ip use the crytpo API?
17
18 If it is advisable for a desktop workstation to use the crypto API, what
19 specific routines should be enabled? There are a lot of individual routines
20 within the crypto API.
21
22 Frank Peters