From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] real multilib support
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:38:19
1 On Thursday 22 March 2007, Thomas Rösner <Thomas.Roesner@××××××××××××××.de>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] real multilib support':
3 > Simon Cooper schrieb:
4 > > Whats the status of real, proper, compiled multilib support? Is it
5 > > 'being worked on'? Whats the main things holding it back at the
6 > > moment?
7 >
8 > Portage can't track ABI dependencies. Extending portage right now is
9 > hard, and a EAPI 0 spec is coming around. From reading -dev I get the
10 > sense that the portage devs want to wait with adding features to portage
11 > until that's done.
12 >
13 > Does paludis do ABI tracking?
14
15 From what I understand, they are waiting on the EAPI spec before starting
16 work on this. 0.20.1 doesn't appear to have any ABI tracking related
17 features that I can see, although it may be possible to fake with
18 sophisticated hooks+bashrc.
19
20 > The paludis hp only says
21 > something about chroots.
22
23 It is much easier to convince paludis to build packages for a chroot from
24 outside the chroot than it is to convince portage to do the same thing,
25 but that's a rather minor feature, and requires some configuration-file
26 discipline.
29 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
30 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
31 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
32 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
33 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!