From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: No LibX11 Libtool Archive Installed
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 00:12:21
Volker Armin Hemmann posted on Mon, 28 Mar 2011 05:53:18 +0200 as
excerpted:

> On Monday 28 March 2011 00:21:52 Fernando Boaglio wrote: >> I've found a workaround for this issue: >> >> emerge lafilefixer >> >> lafilefixer --justfixit >> >> >> []'s Fernando Boaglio > > that is not a workaround but the fix.
It's a workaround, or at least I'd call it so, tho workaround/fix is quibbling over technicalities, the simple fact is that it works, regardless. The "fix", in progress gentoo-wide, is to remove pretty much all the *.la files entirely. But unless all packages are remerged at the same time, that must be done in some particular order or still-installed *.la files will refer to others already removed, thus triggering threads such as this. FWIW, I've been using a PKG_INSTALL_MASK="*.la" setting here in my make.conf for some time, now. That keeps portage from installing the files entirely. With a single exception for one such file installed by the libtool package itself, tested for by certain other package config steps, it has been without issue. In /etc/portage/env/sys-devel/libtool, I have this exception, so that single package installs its *.la files, but that's it. PKG_INSTALL_MASK= When I first set the mask, I did an emerge --empty-tree @world, thus removing all *.la files. The only problem I ran into was the missing *la from libtool itself, which remerging it with the above exception worked around, and I've been *.la file problem free since then. =:^) Of course, individual users may have other exception packages as well, but the above single exception works with the packages I have merged, including most of kde4. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman