From: Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] cpufreq, cpudyn, and AMD Turion 64
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:41:50
As to the my HP dv5000 (AMD Turion 64), I configured cpufreq in my

Power management options ---->
CPU Frequency scaling  --->
[*] CPU Frequency scaling
[ ]   Enable CPUfreq debugging
<*>   CPU frequency translation statistics
[ ]     CPU frequency translation statistics details
Default CPUFreq governor (performance)  --->
---   'performance' governor
<*>   'powersave' governor
<*>   'userspace' governor for userspace frequency scaling
< >   'ondemand' cpufreq policy governor
<*>   'conservative' cpufreq governor
---   CPUFreq processor drivers
<*>   AMD Opteron/Athlon64 PowerNow!
< >   Intel Enhanced SpeedStep
<*>   ACPI Processor P-States driver
---   shared options
[ ]   /proc/acpi/processor/../performance interface (deprecated)

I chose "conservative" instead of "ondemand" because of the
description of the "conservative" governor in make menuconfig:
"If you have a desktop machine then you should really be considering
the 'ondemand' governor instead, however if you are using a laptop,
PDA or even an AMD64 based computer (due to the unacceptable
step-by-step latency issues between the minimum and maximum frequency
transitions in the CPU) you will probably want to use this governor."

Then I emerged cpudyn, but whenever i did

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

I got "powersafe".
Moreover, I think I ran into those "unacceptable latency issues": now
and then my mouse, the download of a web page, or whatever else
stopped a few seconds.
So I have removed cpudyn from my runlevel and added

echo conservative
I think that my notebook is working better now, but I'm note sure about what I have done ;-) so ask you for your advice. Thanks Sergio -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list