From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hibernate-ram
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:19:03
1 "Avuton Olrich" <avuton@×××××.com> posted
2 3aa654a40808271947v183adf76lc84264f945588171@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:47:45 -0700:
4
5 > On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Sebastian Geiger <sbastig@×××.net>
6 > wrote:
7 >> I just upgraded to 2.6.26 and if I enter hibernate-ram the system
8 >> suspends but never wakes up again untill I do a cold reboot. Are there
9 >> any known issues currently with this Kernel version? I am using the
10 >> 2.6.26 tuxonice-sources and the latest hibernate script on amd64.
11 >
12 > ACPI on linux is probably the most undependable things about the system.
13 > That being said, I've had much luck getting 'suspend to disk', aka
14 > hibernate, to work over 'suspend to ram', also known as sleep.
15 >
16 > Best of luck, but suspend to ram working is like expecting all the
17 > planets to align with the sun. Each driver for each chip in your
18 > computer must be ready for it, or it's not happening.
19
20 ... And the kernel devs will say the same thing. They /are/ trying, and
21 things /are/ generally improving gradually in that area, but it's well
22 known that suspend to disk is /much/ more likely to work than suspend to
23 RAM.
24
25 One thing you might try if you haven't already... X and video drivers
26 throw in a /lot/ more complexity. Many people find that suspend (of
27 either form) works MUCH better if they switch to a console before
28 suspending (leaving X running). If that works fine returning you to a
29 console but switching back to X afterward does /not/ work, try shutting X
30 down entirely before suspending. That may work.
31
32 Beyond that, you can try unloading all non-critical modules and reloading
33 them after you resume.
34
35 After you find a combination that works, you can of course script it, so
36 it all happens automatically.
37
38 That said, if it was working with older kernels it'll be considered a
39 regression and the kernel folks are likely to be very interested in it,
40 particularly if you have time to file a kernel bug and do some follow-up
41 for them as they ask you to. I've had several bugs that I filed fixed,
42 but then I usually start running the -rcs (or trying to run them, anyway)
43 around -rc3 or so, and if I see a problem and it's not fixed by -rc4 or -
44 rc5, I'll bug it, and so far, they've always had it fixed before the full
45 release version. But it /can/ take rebuilding the kernel a few times,
46 often with debug-logging patches applied so they can find out what's
47 going on. Another common techique is "bisecting", that is, taking the
48 last known working version and the first known trouble version and
49 testing an rc about in the middle, thus cutting the problem space in
50 half, then one in the middle of that, etc, until you nail the bad rc,
51 then doing the same thing with the daily snapshots between the last good
52 rc and the first bad one, until you get the culprit day. Often given the
53 problem they can nail it once they know the day, but you can go farther
54 if you want to using git to bisect the day's patches until you find the
55 exact patch. (Or, do as I sometimes do and bisect the kernel sources
56 directory by directory and file by file until I find the file, then diff
57 the files and narrow it down to a specific changed line or set of lines,
58 tho that doesn't always work once you get beyond the file level since
59 often the changes are dependent on one another.)
60
61 I may not be a coder, and I'm DEFINITELY not a kernel hacker, but I can
62 file and help trace down bugs as I see 'em, thereby contributing my
63 little bit to an improved Linux! =8^)
68 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman