From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Why Is Gentoo So Far Behind?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 04:45:14
1 On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 04:46:54 +0200
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > But despair not. You want latest X? Install the X11 overlay. It is there to
6 > test the very latest stuff. You want latest gcc? gcc-porting is for you (gcc
7 > 4.4 is just sweet...). Perl? perl-experimental.
8 >
9 > Today a lot of stuff is tested in overlays first, before becoming part of the
10 > portage tree. This could be faster - but again, manpower is the magic word.
11 > (also one reason why I dislike overlays: it makes portage tree looking stale
12 > and gentoo looking dead, while the overlays are very alive).
15 I wasn't too familiar with the overlays. I thought they were just a repository
16 for unusual packages, but I guess they are essentially the developmental
17 branch of Gentoo.
18
19 The issue of manpower is very interesting and also a little disturbing.
20 Perhaps this isn't the proper place to discuss such a topic, but after
21 deciding to switch to Gentoo only a few months ago, a certain blog post
22 has captured my attention:
23
24 http://ben.liveforge.org/2009/06/04/gentoo-dying
25