From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: xf86-video-ati-6.10.0 update hardlocks x
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:27:33
1 Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com> posted
2 20090127204528.624675d4@ViciousVincent, excerpted below, on Tue, 27 Jan
3 2009 20:45:28 +0100:
4
5 > I'm ~amd64
6
7 > I've updated the x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati package from 6.9.0 to
8 > 6.10.0. This leads to X hardlocking the system. My xsession lasts a
9 > varying degree of time, then the mouse starts to lag, all other input is
10 > locked up. I can't do anything.
11 >
12 > A simple downgrade back to 6.9.0 resolves this problem.
13 >
14 > Anybody else experiencing this?
15 > I'm using a 2.6.28-r1 kernel, out of tree drm module for radeon 9800
16 > (r300).
17
18 Could you post or link to your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files? I'm not
19 sure I can help as I'm running older hardware, 9200SE AGP, but it seemed
20 to work fine here, 2.6.28 vanilla kernel.
21
22 I actually updated today to current mainline/Linus git (post 2.6.29-rc2)
23 and rebooted a few minutes ago, but there's something noticeably wrong as
24 it's lagging and glxgears is only running a tenth of what it should be
25 (50 FPS instead of 500ish). Sure enough, Xorg.0.log says AIGLX: Screen 0
26 is not DRI capable, but it is, and it says enabling software rasterizer
27 (swrast_dri.so) for the screen. I also noticed an some MCE (Machine
28 Check Exceptions) logged in syslog.
29
30 Not good. I'll probably reboot and see if it happens again, including
31 the MCEs. If not, no big deal. If so, I'll probably wait another RC or
32 so and try again.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman