From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: urgent: Segfaults after synchronously emerging|downloading 30GB|burnng a DVD iso image
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:19:08
1 Tuesday 30 May 2006 11:34 skrev Duncan:
2 > Well, it's possible that's due to them being bought out by Symantec
3 > (according to a recent /. comment I was reading, with several replies
4 > agreeing). I don't know when it happened, but it couldn't have been too
5 > long ago as the comment I read mentioning it said they'd probably destroy
6 > it, like they did all the other stuff they've bought over the years, which
7 > implies they haven't had it long enough for it to occur yet.
8
9 Symantec took over PowerQuest in September 2003 [1] so it is a while ago. The
10 latest release is of May 2004 [2] (an information I wasn't able to locate
11 anywhere on the Symantec home page..). I wasn't able to locate what changed in
12 8.05 either but 8.0 is from before Symantec took over PowerQuest. So I'd say
13 it has occured already since I don't see any signs of progress on this
14 software.
15
16 It does support all file systems that may be used on Windows, so I'm guessing
17 from a Windows users perspective it is feature complete and Symantec will be
18 able to make money of it for many years in the future without spending any
19 money on it themselves...
20
21 On my system support for reiserfs wouldn't amount to much since it does, as
22 you suggested, not support LVM2. But with a properly setup system using lvm2
23 and reiserfs who needs Partition Magic anyway? Isn't that what LVM2 is for?
24
25 [1] http://news.com.com/Symantec+buys+storage+software+maker/2100-7350_3-5081273.html
26 [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_Magic
29 Bo Andresen