From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Playing DVD problems
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:06:38
1 2007/11/28, Jim Seymour <jim@××××××××××××.com>:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:15 +0100, Beso wrote:
4 > > the answer is simple:
5 > > kde - kaffeine+xine+libdvdcss2+the libdvd needed
6 > > gnome - totem +xine+libdvdcss2+ the libdvd needed
7 > > kde/gnome/others - mplayer.
8 > >
9 > > these are the 3 main choices that are best.
10 >
11 > Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a feeling there is something
12 > odd that is missing or configured incorrectly on my system. I mentioned
13 > that I tried to get Totem to work. I use gnome and have everything
14 > installed for totem listed above except xine. Maybe I will try that
15 > next. From the other suggestions so far I decided to try vlc as I had
16 > heard a lot of good things about it recently. I emerged vlc and it
17 > grabbed three other packages as well. I ended up with a vlc command line
18 > install and nothing but the --help that didn't get me anywhere. I have
19 > enabled the wxwindows for vlc and am reinstalling it. Gentoo does not
20 > list a libdvdcss2+ version available.
21
22 I have libdvdcss 1.2.9-r1
23 > installed as well as all of the other packages that start with libdvd.
26 i have the same libdvdcss version.
27 totem should work also with gstreamer, but i preffer xine. i personally
28 dislike vlc, but mplayer is also very good.
29 i'd also like to tell you that there are some dvds (especially new ones)
30 that have a kind of protection that prevents them from playing in pcs. i've
31 experienced such problems with second quarter dvds released this year. for
32 this function to be surely tested you'll need a 2-3 years dvd that currently
33 play well on the dvdplayer. after you're sure about that insert it into the
34 dvd player/recorder and hal should recognize the dvd and try to start the
35 right application.
36
37 Thanks,
38 > Jim