From: Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] bad drive?
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:44:35
1 I think one of my drives is on its way out, tho I've never seen a
2 drive fail like this before. Drive is a year old WD 640G & I use it
3 as my system drive. Via SMART, I've been doing daily short & weekly
4 long tests since I installed it. Starting last week I woke up to my
5 keyboard lights blinking and the sound of the heads thrashing & the
6 drive repeatedly attempting to spin up. On my desktop the mouse was
7 still moving but any command (dmesg, less /var/log/messages) resulted
8 in an IO error. I restarted the computer and everything came up fine.
9 I dug through the logs but there were no IO errors of any sort to be
10 found. All I could see was that the extended SMART test successfully
11 started (from smartd.log):
12
13 Jun 6 03:10:31 void smartd[5056]: Device:
14 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD6400AAKS-22A7B0_WD-WMASY0830809, starting
15 scheduled Long Self-Test.
16
17 But then it failed to complete (from smartctl -a):
18
19 # 7 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset) 50% 7699 -
20
21 None of the other SMART attributes indicate any other potential. I
22 used my computer with no problems all week thinking perhaps it was a
23 fluke. This morning I woke to an similar situation as last week. The
24 smartd log indicated that the extended test had started, but oddly
25 enough smartctl has no record of the test starting.
26
27 I'm going to purchase a replacement drive today. My data is backed up
28 but the entire system is not, if it completely failed I'd need to do a
29 re-install & would prefer to avoid that. I understand SMART can't
30 detect every sort of drive failure, is this possibly one of those
31 situations? I'd like to get the manufacturer to replace the drive,
32 but I suspect I'll need something more concrete than a 'failed
33 extended SMART test' to convince them of this. Any suggestions? At
34 the very least I'll be giving it a couple passes of badblocks -vw.
35
36 Wil