From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:09:24
1 On Freitag 28 August 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 > On Fri, August 28, 2009 02:01, Frank Peters wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:34:24 +0200
4 > >
5 > >> oh really? can mc present an audiocd as ogg/mp3/flac/wav files?
6 > >>
7 > >> I don't think so.
8 > >
9 > > I am not sure what is meant by "present an audio cd," but mc can be
10 > > programmed by the user to accomplish a lot of tasks based on the file
11 > > type. Therefore, although I have not researched this specific
12 > > possibility, I would be inclined to believe that it can be done with mc.
13 >
14 > He is talking about a kio-slave that does kind of like the cdfs kernel
15 > module, though in a more limited way.
16 >
17 > In kde, when you enter a cdaudio in your drive and open it, this
18 > kio-slave presents you the cdaudio disk in an fs-like fashion, with
19 > a number of folders. One folder containing ogg files, other mp3 files,
20 > other wav files, and so on, depending on your USE flags and such things
21 >
22 > This allows you to rip the thing by just dragging files into another
23 > folder, though to tell the truth, it never worked reliably for me in
24 > kde3, I have no idea if it has improved.
25 >
26 > mc already do this for a number of formats, like iso, via vfs's, I have
27 > no idea how complex would it be to develop this for cdaudio, but, as said
28 > we have cdfs anyway, and mc is not meant to be an audio encoder at all.
29 > I'd vote against this, unless it can be implemented purely as an vfs
30 > module or as an external addon without touching a single line of the mc
31 > core.
32
33 and cdfs also does the id3 tags?
34
35 btw, it worked reliable in kde3 for me and it still works reliable in kde4