From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 04:38:21
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 00:58:46 +0000 (UTC) > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote: > >> >> I had wondered if this might be an "undefined behavior" optimization bug, >> > > Well, the amd64 users list may not be the appropriate place to discuss > C programming, but the problem here stems from attempting to do things > with C that are not supposed to be done with C.  Such things are aptly > called "tricks" because they stray away from the convention. > > Ideally, I suppose, for these purposes would be to use assembly language > routines mixed into the C code.  But this is not as easy as with the > "tricks." > > Anyway, I'm glad I presented this issue.  It has definitely improved > my understanding.  GCC has dozens, if not hundreds, of compile options > and I know the actual function of only a small few. > > Frank Peters > >
I think it's completely appropriate for this list. This distro expects that we put CFLAG options in make.conf so I need to hear about this stuff even if I don't have to background to completely understand what's really causing the problem. - Mark

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>