From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Sun and GPL
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 23:35:01
1 Isidore Ducasse <ducasse.isidore@×××××.com> posted
2 20070527131103.770b71c6@Bazaar, excerpted below, on Sun, 27 May 2007
3 13:11:03 +0200:
4
5 > I've heard that Sun recently released the Java platform under GPL, and
6 > that all of their softs are going to follow in a near future.
7
8 Not necessarily (or likely) /all/ their software, but significant parts
9 of it. OpenSolaris is currently CDDL, which /is/ OSI approved as a real
10 "open" license, but was designed in part deliberately to be GPLv2
11 incompatible. Apparently, they weren't interested in Linux "stealing"
12 their technologies, which they thought would happen if they made it GPLv2
13 compatible.
14
15 They ARE considering dual-licensing Solaris under GPLv3, however, which
16 they've been working closely with the FSF on. Of course that's not a
17 given until it's out, but it'd definitely widen the interest base (I for
18 one may well be interested, especially if Linux stays GPLv2 only).
19
20 Of course Linus and the other kernel devs were originally very much
21 against early GPLv3 drafts. Linus at least has apparently changed his
22 mind with the later ones, but again, we'll have to see, and it would take
23 nearly all of the big contributors current and past agreeing for it to be
24 practical, and even then there'd likely be a period of several years
25 where it was dual licensed v2 and v3 until all those who couldn't be
26 reached or didn't agree could have their v2 code written out of it.
27 Eventually, the v2 side could be dropped, after all the v2 only code was
28 gone.
29
30 But they have other software as well. Java, however, you are right,
31 GPLv2 is what they've announced, but again, it's taking some time. Much
32 of it is now, but not the complete stack.
33
34 > I've
35 > synced portage 2 days ago and dev-java/sun-jre-bin is still licensed
36 > against dlj-1.1 . Does anybody know how long it can take to have the
37 > license changed? Will it change at the occasion of a new release or is
38 > it applicable with the current version? Does it mean we'll have a 64-bit
39 > java web browser plugin some day?
40
41 What Gentoo is doing, from what I've seen based on some of the smaller
42 Java packages, is eliminating the -bin version and switching to a
43 standard (for Gentoo) sources based ebuild. I've not followed Java /
44 that/ closely as it hasn't been open source, and I won't install it until
45 it is, but I've been following the developments here as I come across
46 them. The Gentoo Java devs are working on it, but as I said, I don't
47 believe enough of the entire Java infrastructure has been released as GPL
48 yet to do the entire thing as sources. Even after it has, it'll take
49 several months as experimental ebuilds in the Java overlay (emerge layman
50 and read up on using it, if interested), before it is considered stable
51 enough to release into the main tree, even as ~arch. Then it'll be in
52 ~arch for awhile, while any bugs the ~arch users find being worked out,
53 before it makes it to stable.
54
55 So, I'm not /real/ close to things, talk to devs on the Java herd if you
56 want real detail, but an intelligent guess based on the above that I know
57 is that it'll be several months, likely late this year or early next,
58 before full source based Sun blessed Java is in the main tree, almost
59 certainly before it reaches stable.
65 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
68 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list