From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] DualCore Was: [OT] test, please ignore.
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:14:27
1 Jason Cooper posted <20051016185208.GC7641@××××××××××.net>, excerpted
2 below, on Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:52:08 -0400:
3
4 > Now there you go. FFI. Failure to Follow Instructions. :)
5 >
6 > Looking at buying a new MB and processor so thought I'd listen in on
7 > amd64 and (possibly) dual-core issues under gentoo. Yes, am reading the
8 > docs also. :)
9
10 AMD64s do dual-core really well. I'm not running dual-core yet, but I'm
11 running dual 242 Opterons, and the CPU/CPU teaming is better on AMD64, due
12 to the HyperTransport Interconnect, than with typical x86s. Dual-core
13 only increases the cooperative effect.
14
15 (FWIW, I'm running a Tyan s2885 dual socket 940, dual-core capable tho
16 it's now an older board, AGP and PCI-X, not PCI-Express. It's got four
17 slots for memory associated with each CPU/MMU, with the BIOS able to
18 handle 2G sticks, so a max 16 GB memory. I've been very happy with it
19 since I figured out my gig of PC3200 generic memory wasn't quite good to
20 the rated clock, and declocked it slightly (3000) in the BIOS. I expect
21 I'll stick with the same board, after all it's a $400 board, upgrading
22 memory to at least 8 gig, and possibly upgrading to dual-core CPUs giving
23 me a quad-core system, thru another couple years at least.)
24
25 A dual-CPU Opteron system has met all my expectations and then some. I'm
26 /very/ satisfied. So... regardless of whether you go single dual-core or
27 dual dual-core, it's a decision I don't believe you'll regret -- as long
28 as you aren't a gamer expecting double the performance from today's
29 single-threaded games. If that's your thing, top-of-the-line single-core
30 is better for your money. Multitasking, however... Running emerges
31 without interrupting or slowing your desktop... dual amd64, whether core
32 or cpu, does GREAT at that!
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
38 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list