From: Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initio seen, mt -f doesn't work
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:54:26
Is there a way of determining the board type, other than opening the box
and removing the card.  I don't have it's original box.

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 07:39 -0600, Brett Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 10:32:20AM +0000, Gavin Seddon wrote: > > Hi, > > When I modprobe initio I get the single word 'killed' at which the whole > > system freezes and I have to switch off at the box. Do I need to modify > > the kernel? > > Thanks. > > > What model initio board do you have? There are two > different initio drivers, and the one called "initio" is for the 9100 > series chipset. It's possible loading the wrong chipset could lock up > the pc, or at least the console. When the console locks up, I like to go > to a different terminal (pc) and see if I can ping the frozen pc. If so, > then try to ssh in (assuming ssh is running) and see if I can shut it > down remotely. > > All you should need configure in the kernel is: > CONFIG_SCSI: SCSI device support > CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST: SCSI tape support > > And depending of the controller chipset, either: > CONFIG_SCSI_INITIO: Initio 9100U(W) support > CONFIG_SCSI_INIA100: Initio INI-A100U2W support > > This assumes you don't have an Onstream tape drive of a multi slot tape > drive. If so, there are a few extra drivers needed, but that's not the > issue you are having at this time. > > If the tape drive is external, you can try and shut off the drive before > you boot the PC and then see if you can get the module to load. It's > possible that there is something wrong with the SCSI bus (bad tape drive, > improper termination) that is causing the driver to hang the system. You > should also confirm you have proper termination on the SCSI bus. > > Also, you can refer to: > It appears the inito driver in the kernel supports most of their boards, > but if you have a really old board (INI-9100/9100W), you may need to > download a seperate driver. There is also a link to flash the bios, but I > would only try that as a last resort. > > Brett
-- Dr Gavin Seddon School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences University of Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, U.K. -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
[gentoo-amd64] Re: initio seen, mt -f doesn't work Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>