From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] gcc4.1.1 upgrade with Duncan's flags
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:47:01
1 Upgrade to gcc4.1.1 went alright here with Duncan's suggested flags,
2 only two packages failed:
3
4 - libquicktime, due to syntax error in "configure" in a line related to
5 vorbis, I have worked around it by removing the line but not had time
6 yet to file a proper bug. I had this problem also with gcc3.4.6 so I'm
7 sure it's not related to gcc optimizations.
8
9 - seamonkey, due to syntax error in a source file. This is quite
10 peculiar since I had already compiled the sources with gcc3.4.6 without
11 problems. I did not investigate much because I wanted to remove the
12 package anyway and use only Gnome native applications (that was before I
13 discovered 'native' applications require seamonkey or mozilla or firefox...)
14
15 I am running amd64 (on an Athlon64 3000+) with very few ~amd64 packages.
16 First impression confirm Duncan's enthusiastic reports.
17
18 But, for the first time in my linux life I had a kernel oops ("unable to
19 allocate memory page" or something like that) running
20 mplayer/mplayer-bin/totem with kernel 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 compiled with
21 gcc4.1.1 Problem disappeared after I rebooted into 2.6.17-gentoo-r4
22 compiled with gcc3.4.6, and did not appear again when I rebooted again
23 into 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 compiled with gcc4.1.1, so I need more testing.
24
25 Thanks to all for the great discussion on compiler optimizations.
26
27 raf
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list