From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: boot Gentoo from USB key
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:47:27
1 Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com> posted
2 1209537833.6170.62.camel@×××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Wed, 30
3 Apr 2008 08:43:53 +0200:
4
5 > The kernel starts to load, but panics because it is unable to find the
6 > root partition. When it stops it shows the available partitions, these
7 > include all the hard disk partitions but no USB key partition. In fact,
8 > if I omit the 'root' parameter from the grub shell the boot works fine
9 > but it uses the hard disk root partition instead of the USB one.
10
11 In addition to what the others have suggested...
12
13 Some machines apparently have (had?) trouble with parts of USB built-in.
14 If they are, the USB detects the root hubs but nothing else. I had this
15 problem at one point altho I wasn't trying to /boot/ from USB at that
16 point. The solution when not booting from USB is to build it as modules,
17 not built-in, but of course that complicates things somewhat if you are
18 booting from USB. In that case, you'd have to build USB as modules, and
19 then ensure those modules are on your initrd/initramfs (which I've never
20 had to use so have never worried about learning the technicalities of, so
21 I'll be of little help in that regard).
22
23 As indicated by the "(had?)" above, it's possible the issues have been
24 fixed now and USB builds in just fine. However, I still build these as
25 modules due to that experience. The specific modules involved... let me
26 double-check... usbcore and the appropriate minidriver(s), uhci/ohci/
27 ehci_hcd. Of course, with them as modules, you'll likely have to build
28 other stuff (like usbhid, the usb keyboard/mouse input module) as modules
29 as well.
30
31 I should try again one of these days and see... as it'd be nice to have
32 it built-in since I'm using a USB mouse and keyboard now, and they
33 naturally fail if I boot to a backup root without modules for the kernel
34 I'm running. It wasn't a big deal when I was running ps2 based mouse/
35 keyboard and USB was just "auxiliary" stuff anyway.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
43 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list