From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:03:31
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Barry Schwartz
<chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis: >> And how would one use CUDA if we gave up nvidia-drivers? Does nouveau >> support all the CUDA stuff? > > I think they may have reverse engineered CUDA, but whether it is > implemented I don’t know, and I wouldn’t want to be the one to test > it, either. :) > > I’m donating processor time with boinc and that’s good enough reason > to use the binary driver if it gives me more processor to donate. > > (Waiting before installing anything new is painful, I know, because > with Gentoo you always feel like you want it to be doing something, or > at least that’s my experience. :) ) >
I have no problem with you or anyone else running nouveau. None at all. I do have a problem with someone saying 'it's time for everyone to give up nvidia-drivers' without demonstrating they know the full impact of what they are suggesting. Had Cheng Renquan suggest 'Maybe people who don't need anything other than basic X capabilities should consider running nouveau' I wouldn't have even chimed in. And thanks for running boinc. It's good of you and good for you. Cheers, Mark

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>