From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Ebuild HOWTO
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:53:33
1 Okay, I've gone over the docs and the HOWTOs on gentoo.org and I'm still
2 a wee bit (okay maybe a lot) fuzzy on developing/updating ebuilds.
3
4 I have a particular app I use quite often (DVDStyler), but the ebuild in
5 portage is pretty old (1.5.2_p2) compared to the latest version
6 available (1.6.2), the difference being about a year between them.
7
8 I know I can just compile the source for the latest, but I'd like to
9 update the ebuild to learn how to do it. The docs however, aren't
10 helpful from the standpoint that there's no clear cut procedure for
11 setting up a devel environment for building/testing an ebuild locally
12 without becoming a gentoo developer, per se.
13
14 Me, I rather like having step-by-step instructions on my first go round
15 so I can 'do it right' the first time, then I'll know how to fix it if I
16 bork something.
17
18 Is there something like that floating around?
21 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
24 Mark Haney
25 Sr. Systems Administrator
26 ERC Broadband
27 (828) 350-2415
28
29 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
30 --
31 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list