From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] some xorg related questions
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:20:48
1 On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:32:00AM +0000, Neil Stone wrote:
2 > 1. All of my fonts have gone small.. whats up with that, I know I have
3 > updated a few things, but (afaik) nothing that would cause this to happen
4 Did you happen to upgrade x-org? Small fonts can be cause by running X
5 in low dpi (75x75) with a high resolution (ie 1600x1200). If you
6 upgraded x-org, and had your xserver configured with a higher dpi
7 (100x100), there's a chance you're server configuration was reset to the
8 default 75x75. If this is the case, you need to determine which method
9 is used to start X and modify the server config file and add -dpi 100
10 (or what ever value you prefer).
11
12 You can also check your current dpi setting from a terminal in X with
13 something like:
14 xdpyinfo | grep -A 3 screen
15
16 You should see something like:
17 default screen number: 0
18 number of screens: 1
19
20 screen #0:
21 dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (406x305 millimeters)
22 resolution: 100x100 dots per inch
23 depths (7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
24
25 The resolution line shows the dpi.
26
27 An good docment (slightly dated) that covers fonts is X is:
28 http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/FDU.html
29 Section 2.1 and 2.2 talk about some simple chages that can make
30 a big difference.
31
32 I also found this document which seems to be current, but I have not had
33 a chance to fully review it yet:
34 http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/index.html
37 > 2. xfs - I can't suss out how to get this installed... and wouw it help
38 > the above situ ?
39 xfs is no longer built by default, and has been moved to a USE flag.
40 To build xfs you should run the following command to add XFS to your
41 /etc/portage/package.use file and rebuild X:
42 echo "x11-base/xorg-x11 font-server" >> /etc/portage/package.use
43
44 You should note that Xft is now the preferred method of handling fonts
45 in xorg, and Xfs in considered insecure, so that is why it is disabled
46 by default.
47 >
48 > 3. TwinView.... I saw a few posts of people using this, and I would like
49 > to have a go... can someone point me at a document that would provide me
50 > recent, revevant information on being able to use multiple monitors in
51 > xorg ?
52 zless /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-<VERSION>/README.gz
53 There is a section in there about setting up Twinview using the version
54 drivers you have installed.
55
56 For more generic information:
57 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors