From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can initrd and/or RAID be disabled at boot?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:40:43
1 On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
3 >> Hi,
4 >> This is related to my thread from a few days ago about the
5 >> disappointing speed of my RAID6 root partition. The goal here is to
6 >> get the machine booting from an SSD so that I can free up my five hard
7 >> drives to play with.
8 >>
9 >> SHORT SUMMATION: I've tried noninitrd and noraid in the kernel line of
10 >> grub.conf but I keep booting from old RAID instead of the new SSD.
11 >> What am I doing wrong?
14 > Can the boot order be changed in the bios?
17 Not sure. Will investigate.
18
19 > Was grub-install run on the SSD and saved to the SSD's MBR?
22 Not yet but planned.
23
24 > If, possible, can the SATA cables be moved such that the SSD is drive 0?
27 Would prefer not to. I want to keep the current boot as default as I
28 need to work during the day. Once I get the AAD booting I might be
29 open to rearranging things but at that point I assume I won't have to.
30
31 > And, it might be useful to mount by-id or by-uuid -
34 Will keep in mind.
35
36 After writing the first note it dawned on me that if the live system
37 copy had worked as per the Arch Linux doc then I should have been able
38 to chroot into the SSD. Unfortunately it didn't work so I blew away
39 the SSD and started over from scratch with a clean install using the
40 Gentoo AMD64 Install Guide. I haven't tried chrooting into it yet.
41 Maybe this evening.
42
43 Thanks for the ideas.
44