From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Wayland and X-Window
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 01:36:23
1 Up and coming, like it or not, from the Freedesktop project is the
2 X-Window replacement called Wayland. Gentoo is already involved with
3 Wayland although it is still considered experimental.
4
5 My concern is whether or not Wayland will totally supplant X-Window
6 or will it exist as an option to X-Window. That is, when Wayland
7 becomes finally ready for prime time, will we all be forced to adopt
8 it with no alternative or will the standard X-Window also be a choice?
9
10 Another concern centers around all of the udev/dbus stuff which I have
11 so far successfully managed to completely avoid. A second question then
12 is how much will Wayland be dependent on udev? Will it be an option
13 or mandatory?
14
15 Frank Peters