From: Scott Heath <rheath8@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] First Linux install ever
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:56:33
1 Hey folks!
2
3 I recently upgraded to my first 64 bit processor, and even found myself
4 with a copy of the 64 bit winxp, but I've been looking for an excuse to
5 de-window myself for some time and this seemed perfect. The last
6 command line interface I used was dos 5.0, so its been fun trying to get
7 around, but I need help.
8
9 I'm currently running 2 hard drives, the first has Windows on it (which
10 I need to keep for a variety of application and game reasons) and I'm
11 looking to put Gentoo on the second drive. I've googled the heck out of
12 how to get the dual install right, but haven't been able to find the
13 right tutorial to get me straight. I've downloaded the .iso's for the
14 2005.1 universal install and the package disk. When I boot the gentoo
15 CD, it gets me to 'preparing the disk for installation and then just
16 hangs. I can hit alt-F1 to get to the verbose screen, and it is
17 responsive, but I have no clue what so ever how to continue from there.
18 I read that for a few other versions of linux the HD had to be formated
19 in FAT32, so I repartitioned the drive that way, but still no luck. I'm
20 guessing that its because I'm trying to install do my 2nd hard drive
21 that is causing the problem.
22
23 Any help to the linux noob would be great. Thanks folks
24 --
25 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list