From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Wake On LAN Issue
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:59:44
1 Richard, mused, then expounded:
2 >
3 > However, if I wait a few hours before sending the magic packet, the
4 > machine does not power back up and the machine can only be powered back
5 > up by pressing the power button on the machine itself. After testing
6 > this over and over, I know as a matter of fact that the only thing that
7 > causes the magic packet to fail to power the machine back up is time; if
8 > I leave it too long between powering the machine off and sending the
9 > magic packet.
10 >
11 > Has anyone else here experienced this?
14 Can't say that I have. But what you describe is a failing Standby
15 voltage circuit. It could be the power supply or it could be the
16 motherboard.
17
18 If either has significant age on them, then most likely to electrolytic
19 capacitors associated with the circuit have gone bad. Or it could
20 simply be bad design and no real testing of the function during
21 production.
22
23 Bob
24 -