From: Jason Booth <jbooth@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Using encrypted swap via cryptsetup-luks on amd64
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:16:04
1 On Sunday 22 October 2006 06:16, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > I'd just make SWAPDEVICE and LOOPDEV command-line parameters and then
3 > call the script 4 times.
4 or drop a for loop into it...
5
6 I don't know much about raid, but if it's treated in /dev as a single device,
7 you may just be able to replace it and go.
8
9 May be overly paranoid, but writing encrypted data multiple times could help
10 someone to guess what certain file is and make an attack on the encryption
11 easier. I use ext2 for my encrypted loops so there's no journal as well.
12 Although the power fails sometimes, and can be a pain to fsck, i haven't lost
13 anything yet.
16 > > swap again, wipe the partitions, and simply leave swap off.  Only if they
17 > > ever get suspend to disk working semi-reliably...
18 >
19 > Not sure encrypted swap will play well with suspend to disk.  Somehow
20 > when the system wakes up it needs to find out what the encryption key
21 > actually was, otherwise the loop device can't be reactivated.
22 Last time i tried S2D, albeit a couple of years now, the loops all had to be
23 re-mounted after wake(and of course fsck'd)
24 > Now, it
25 > is possible that the kernel will just write the key to disk somewhere,
26 > but this defeats much of the security of an encrypted swap device (where
27 > after a reboot the swap space is impossible to read without a brute
28 > force attack on AES-CBC).
29 I think key retention support in kernel may accomplish this
30 > If the key isn't written to disk the kernel
31 > will boot and look around and not see any valid swap partitions on the
32 > disk at all.
33
34 Also, it seems AES-CBC is the standard for swap.. at least per the loop-aes
35 package that contained this script. Does anyone of a good benchmark list?
36
37 I found this but didn't see aes on it
38 http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/benchmarks.html
39
40 -Jason
41 --