From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How to remove gnome completely
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:53:56
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 4918A0DE.4040602@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Mon, 10 Nov 2008
3 16:00:14 -0500:
4
5 > This is killing me, I can't get GNOME removed from one of my servers.
6 > I've pulled it from make.conf, I've removed all packages that has a USE
7 > flag of gnome, gtk, gtk2 and I still get the gnome packages listed when
8 > I try to do an emerge -upDN world. I don't see any packages left that
9 > have any gnome dependencies.
10 >
11 > Am I missing something somewhere? Anyone know a way to fix this
12 > problem?
13
14 Pulled from your world file, you mean?
15
16 equery depends <pkg>
17
18 will give you a listing of what portage thinks is pulling in that
19 package. When that returns nothing, if it's not in world itself, an
20 emerge --pretend --depclean should offer to remove it.
21
22 As Mark suggested, a revdep-rebuild is a good idea too. I'd suggest
23 running it before the --depclean to ensure your system is health then
24 (you can ignore any gnome packages in that run), and again after the --
25 depclean to ensure it's still healthy.
26
27 So:
28
29 emerge -NuD world (world and system both if on portage 2.2)
30 revdep-rebuild
31 emerge --depclean
32 revdep-rebuild
33
34 is what I'd try, in that order, of course using -p or -a first, where
35 appropriate.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman