From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: raxas <raxas@×××××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install multilib'ed version of any library (for real multilib for x86 and x86_64 for every libraries)?
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:02:42
1 Cheng Renquan <crquan@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > Just a simple problem:
3 > 1) if other linux distros can achieve, why gentoo not?
4
5 This is a question worth thinking about, and here is my hypothesis,
6 based on my own way of thinking: Gentoo users tend to be people who
7 like to build their programs from sources, and programs built from
8 sources usually can be converted to run in 64-bit; so we are more
9 likely to help convert programs to 64-bit than to work on making
10 Gentoo multilib fit the standard. Also multilib builds would take
11 significantly longer, which doesn't matter at all to users of most
12 other distros, but it does to Gentoo users. For reasons like these, I
13 myself never have been forceful about multilib.