From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Fritz! WLAN Usb stick
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:16:41
1 > I don't do proprietary/slaveryware, so I can't say for sure, but unless
2 > I'm mistaken, the NDISWrapper thing is 32-bit only -- it won't work on a
3 > 64-bit Linux kernel.
4
5 Ndiswrapper needs to have drivers of the same bitness as the kernel.
6 It will work with 64 bit drivers on a 64 bit kernel, if you are lucky.
7 AFAIK only the Broadcom ones that are integrated on so many laptops work
8 well, but you can always try. Read the documentation included with it.
11 > Your options would be to get a card that has proper Linux support,
12 > preferably Freedomware altho some may offer 64-bit Linux slaveryware
13 > drivers, or switch to regular 32-bit x86 Linux, which normally runs just
14 > fine on amd64, only without the advantages and AMD extensions of amd64,
15 > of course.
16 >
17 > Me, I always check for Freedomware drivers /before/ I buy. If they aren't
18 > available for the hardware, my mony won't be paying for it, period. I
19 > refuse to support slaveryware with /my/ money, altho I recognize that
20 > others may choose to do so with theirs, and that's of course their right,
21 > no matter my opinion of the morality or wisdom thereof. I wouldn't accept
22 > them deciding for me what I can spend my money on, so I can't expect them
23 > to let me may the choice for them, either.
24
25 Unfortunately there is still a very sore lack of good laptop builders
26 --
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list