From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Anyone else running the KDE 3.5-rc1? Trouble with kmail?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:45:16
Hemmann, Volker Armin posted
<200511161606.07866.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:06:07 +0100:

> Hi, > I am using 3.5-rc1 and had not one crash so far. Not one KDE app crashed. > > I am using Kmail pretty much, with 100+/- some douzend emails a day and it > just works. > > I have glibc2.3.6, but I am using gcc 3.4.4 > > So I would suspect some miscompilation by gcc4 ... there are some reasons, > that it is still hardmasked ;)
Yes, but usually it's simply that it's stricter and therefore refuses to compile whatever. Additionally, KDE 3.5 is supposed to be gcc-4.x tested upstream, as they are doing the gcc-4.x fvisibility stuff that had to be pulled from kde 3.4.whatever. Never-the-less, thanks for the datapoint! It could well be that this isn't one of those "usually" things. =8^\ Now that I know it works for you with glibc-2.3.6, and gcc-3.4.x, I can eselect compiler to 3.4.4 and recompile, to see if that fixes it. If I can trace it, perhaps filling a bug upstream may be appropriate. Everything else seems to be working great, including one thing I had a problem with in beta2! =8^) I /did/ try temporarily turning off my filters, of which I have a decent number, and that fixed it temporarily, but turning them all back on caused another crash the next time I had mail to fetch. Thus, it's also possible it's due to some strangeness with my filters, and tracing the individual filter and redoing it might solve the issue. Again now that I know it's working fine for you gives me reason to investigate further, since I know it's not something everyone's running into. Seems I have some testing to do, now that I've confirmed both that and that I can revert to my bin-packaged beta2 version once a day or so to get the collected mail. Again, thanks! -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list