From: Clemente Aguiar <clemente.aguiar@××××××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Trouble installing in server with Fusion-MPT SAS storage controller
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:10:27
1 >
2 > On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 05:12:59PM +0100, Clemente Aguiar wrote:
3 > > !! Block device /dev/sda3 is not a valid root device ...
4 > > !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
5 > > Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell ...
6 > > Boot() ::
7 > >
8 > > The module that during installation is loaded is "mptsas",
9 > but during
10 > > boot of the system it does not seem to load this module (at least I
11 > > cannot see it among the other dozen SCSI modules it is
12 > tying to load).
13 >
14 > You can't use a module for the boot device. You need to
15 > compile it into the kernel, rather than as a module.
16 >
17 > I doubt this is a bugzilla-worthy bug; it sounds like you've
18 > just miscompiled your kernel.
19 >
20 > Dustin
21 > --
22
23 Actually, the Live CD kernel uses initramfs, which is able to load at
24 boot whatever SCSI modules it requires to access storage (disk, raid
25 etc.).
26
27 I have installed Linux a few times with other SCSI and RAID controllers,
28 just having difficulty with this particular one.
29
30 I agree that it would work if I compiled the kernel with the required
31 SCSI drivers, but I would still like this puzzle solved.
32
33 Clemente
34 --
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list