From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:53:49
1 On Sunday 26 March 2006 17:33, JimD wrote:
2 > Has anyone noticed any real benefit from running their gentoo in 64-bit
3 > vs doing everything 64-bit?
4 >
5 > I am trying to decide if I should put the time into setting up a 32-bit
6 > environment or and stay with 64-bit or if I should just rebuild my
7 > system at 32-bit.
8 >
9 > I am running with 2GB which should be fine for 32-bit. I don't have
10 > any specific needs for 64-bit.
11 >
12 > Would I notice any big slow down from doing everything 32-bit on
13 > amd64? I am wondering if I should just go rebuild 32-bit and retry
14 > 64-bit in 6-12 months.
17 in 6-12 month the situation will not be different than now.
18
19 So you can go 64 bit now. For flash and wmv files install firefox-bin and
20 mplayer-bin and you are covered. Waiting is just a waste of time - install
21 now and reinstall in 6 month.. why? That is one superflous installation you
22 do not need to do.
23 --
24 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list