From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can't mount cdrom?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:22:10
Peter Humphrey posted <43AD1718.2070903@××××××××××.uk>, excerpted below,
on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:38:32 +0000:

> Peter Martin wrote: > >> I have; >> udev 753M 2.6M 750M 1% /dev >> none 753M 0 753M 0 /dev/shm > > I'm not sure whether we still need ide-cd for IDE CD ROMs. You could try > "modprobe ide-cd" and then remounting. If that works, add "/dev/hdc=ide-cd" > to the kernel parameters in grub.conf. In my case I have "/dev/hdd=ide-cd" > for my CDRW drive, but as I said I'm not sure whether I still need it.
I believe yes, it is still needed. What's not needed any more (with kernel 2.6) is the old scsi stuff (forgot what it was called) that was needed to do CD burning (but not CD-ROM reading, IIRC) under kernel 2.4. Under 2.4, ide-cd did CD reading, but not writing. It handles writing too, under 2.6, so the extra stuff that was formerly needed for writing isn't needed any longer. Here, I compiled it, along with everything else I use routinely, directly into the kernel. The only module stuff I have is stuff like printer and scanner drivers, and ext2 and msdos filesystems (I've standardized on reiserfs) that I seldom use, so don't want in locked memory, which is what the kernel is. I'd have USB compiled in too, but there was (is?) a bug where all it detects is the hub, if it's compiled in, and I was running into that, so I /have/ to compile it as a module and load it dynamically. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list