From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] revdep-rebuild vs depclean today...
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 02:57:05
1 What's wrong with that ? You have two (or even more) db packages installed in
2 different slots, and due to historical reasons some packages were built agains
3 one version and some - against another. Remove the old version manually and
4 run revdep-rebuild
7 > Hi,
8 > I what way can I improve my use of the tools? I don't remember
9 > seeing a case before where revdep-rebuild -ip was clean but emerge
10 > --depclean didn't want to remove files. I.e. - the
11 > sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2-r1 message.
12 >
13 > Thanks,
14 > Mark
15 >
16 > lightning ~ # revdep-rebuild -ip
17 > * Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild
18 >
19 > * Checking reverse dependencies
20 > * Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
21 > * will be emerged.
22 >
23 > * Collecting system binaries and libraries
24 > * Generated new 1_files.rr
25 > * Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
26 > * Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
27 > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
28 > [ 100% ]
29 >
30 > * Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
31 > lightning ~ # emerge -p --depclean
32 >
33 > * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
34 > * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
35 > * be kept. They can be manually added to this set with
36 > * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`. Packages that are listed in
37 > * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
38 > * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
39 > *
40 > * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
41 > * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
42 > * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
43 > * --newuse --deep @system @world` prior to depclean.
44 >
45 > Calculating dependencies... done!
46 > >>> Checking for lib consumers...
47 > >>> Assigning files to packages...
48 > * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
49 > * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
50 > * packages that pulled them in.
51 > *
52 > * sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2-r1 pulled in by:
53 > * dev-lang/perl-5.8.8-r5
54 > * perl-core/DB_File-1.815
55 > *
56 > >>> Adding lib providers to graph...
57 > \
58 > Calculating dependencies... done!
59 > >>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
60 > >>> To see reverse dependencies, use --verbose
61 > Packages installed: 801
62 > Packages in world: 95
63 > Packages in system: 51
64 > Required packages: 801
65 > Number to remove: 0
66 > lightning ~ # emerge -pvDuN @world
67 >
68 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
69 >
70 > Calculating dependencies... done!
71 >
72 > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
73 > lightning ~ #
78 Dmitri Pogosyan Department of Physics
79 Professor University of Alberta
80 tel 1-780-492-2150 11322 - 89 Avenue
81 fax 1-780-492-0714 Edmonton, AB, T6G 2G7, CANADA