From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] bcm43xx setup
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:05:11
1 i think that you've forgottonen to install the firmware.... remember that
2 you have to download the firmware (i've appended it to this email), then
3 install bcm43xx-fwcutter from portage, cut the firmware with the command:
4 bcm43xx-fwcutter wl_apsta.o and then copy the files with the extension .fw
5 that you can you'll have in the directory that contains wl_apsta.o into the
6 /lib/firmware directory. this directory is protected so you'll need root
7 priviledges to copy the files in there. after you've copied the .fw files
8 into the directory do this:
9
10 > chmod +r+x /lib/firmware/*.fw
13 this will make the firmware readable when you modprobe the bcm module. then
14 you just have to do:
15 modprobe bcm43xx -r to remove the module (if it's loaded) and
16 modprobe bcm43xx to load it.
17 do a dmesg | grep bcm43xx and see if it gives you errors or similar things
18 and then do a iwconfig that will list all your network interfaces. now
19 search for wlan or eth interfaces and see which one of them has wireless
20 extensions. the interface that has wireless extensions is the one you're
21 searching for.
22 broadcom module uses the wext (linux wireless extensions) so if you need to
23 configure the wireless you'll do it through the wext module.