From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: I seem to have lost my 'system' list
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:11:21
1 Barry.SCHWARTZ posted <20051119073425.GA22801@××××××××××××.org>, excerpted
2 below, on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:34:25 -0600:
3
4 >> The system list will be in your profile, which is /supposed/ to be the
5 >> directory pointed to by the /etc/make.profile symlink. Normally, that
6 >> symlink will point to somewhere in the portage tree, under profiles, which
7 >> would mean a subdir of /usr/portage/profiles (typically
8 >> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2005.1 or something similar), if
9 >> you haven't customized the path to your $PORTDIR.
10 >>
11 >> Assuming the symlink is pointing to the correct spot in your portage tree,
12 >> if the spot (or your entire portage tree) is somehow empty, an emerge sync
13 >> should correct the issue.
14 >
15 > Neh, I got the same problem. Seems sync with an outside server fixes
16 > the problem, so it must be a bug in my local rsync server, likely a
17 > semi-ubiquitous bug.
18
19 Maybe.
20
21 It's also possible there's a bad public rsync server. A few months ago, I
22 got one that was caught up on most things but for some reason wasn't
23 syncing a particular package (just one I saw, perhaps more, but not the
24 whole server). Every time I'd hit that server, the package I had merged
25 (and that was a dependency of something else) would disappear, and portage
26 would want to downgrade it (several versions, in fact), but then say there
27 weren't any packages matching the dependency and want to unmerge the whole
28 dependency subtree.
29
30 The first time, I filed a bug on the "leaf" package in question, saying
31 the dependencies had been removed. The gentoo maintainer said no, they
32 were there, and sure enough, after resyncing they were!
33
34 Needless to say I felt a bit foolish for having filed the bad bug, but
35 soon enough, I hit the same server, and had the same thing happen again!
36 Only this time I knew the package WAS still in the tree, so it could only
37 mean one thing: the rsync server was bad!
38
39 Fortunately, I was able to track down which server it was and file an
40 infra/mirrors bug. Checking for dups before filing it, I could see that
41 that particular server had been taken out of rotation a few months
42 earlier, due to connectivity issues. (IIRC it was moved on the LAN,
43 probably to a new subnet with a different IP, and the firewall rules
44 hadn't been updated.) They had fixed them and were back in rotation, but
45 for some local config issue, probably a permissions issue on their rsync
46 daemon such that it couldn't write to a particular subdir or something,
47 that particular package hadn't updated since before the connectivity
48 issues started. It was nearly a year out of date on that particular rsync
49 server, but ONLY that particular rsync server!
50
51 IIRC it took the local server contact three days to respond, not too bad,
52 actually, and another day or so to track down and fix the issue, and
53 resync with the master.
54
55 So anyway... such things do happen, and with two of you reporting a
56 similar issue, I wouldn't be surprised if you both happened to sync off
57 the same defective public rsync server, which happens to be missing that
58 particular profile, or at least the system list from it.
59
60 (Note that I didn't mention which one it was in my case. That has been
61 awhile, and those guys do donate a /lot/ of bandwidth and some hardware as
62 well. One's bound to go out once in awhile, and I doubt yours is the same
63 one I had issues with back then, so no reason to name it. I would of
64 course if it were a current problem.)
65
66 You should be able to check your emerge.log and see who you synced with
67 that time. I'd suggest checking it out and filing a bug if it's still a
68 problem (I verified mine by manually checking with a web browser) and
69 there aren't others filed on it yet.
74 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
75 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
79 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list