From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] network problem - at a loss
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:20:02
1 Hello,
2
3 So, I've build my new Opteron system ad am - well, was - installing Gentoo.
4 The board is a Tyan k8w and has an onboard network card that is accessed using
5 the e1000 driver.
6 The first install went well, I compiled a kernel using genkernel and emerged
7 kde/X11. No problem. I emerged nvidia-glx, again no problem.
8
9 I then decided to emerge world and compile a new kernel with genkernel
10 --xconfig (because I thought I might have missed some elements with
11 menuconfig). After that, the machine did boot OK but could not load the
12 nvidia module (which I have to re-emerge I suppose).
13
14 Now my trouble is with the network: I have a fixed IP and pinging the network
15 card works. However, I can't access my network nor my gateway (network
16 unreachable).
17 /etc/conf.d/net has not changed and contains the correct information
18 (config_eth0 and routes_eth0).
19 resolv.conf hasn't changed either
20
21 At the end of boot I get the following information:
22
23 starting eth0
24 bringing up eth0
25 <computer ip>
26 adding routes
27 default gw <gateway ip> .....
28
29 which seems OK to me. Ifconfig returns sensible things (inet, bcast and mask
30 are all right) and trying to add the gateway manualy (route add default gw
31 <gw ip>) returns: SIOCADDRT: File exists, which again seems to me sensible.
32
33 lsmod returnd e100, used by 0 is this a clue?
34
35 and running route without parameter says:
36
37 Kernel IP routing table
38 Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
39 192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
40 loopback localhost 255.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 lo
41 default 192.168.1.51 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
42
43 Now I am completely stuck. I know the hardware works (SuSE 64 has no network
44 problem) and I know it has worked with Gentoo, and it seems to me that all my
45 config files are all right, so can anyone tell me what I am missing?
46
47 Thanks,
48
49 Thierry
50 --
51 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
52 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
53 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
54 Frank Zappa
55 --
56 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list