From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 19:44:03
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things... by "Canek Peláez Valdés"
1 Canek Peláez Valdés posted on Mon, 03 Mar 2014 11:58:18 -0600 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > If you use dracut to generate your initramfs, you can get a full-fledged
5 > systemd inside it, so you can use the systemd in the initramfs to start
6 > the systemd in the real filesystem. I use it like that. Total size of
7 > the "bloated" initramfs? 11 megabytes. 10,660,755 bytes if you want to
8 > be precise. It's even reasonable for an embedded system; and I have a
9 > lot of stuff there, it can be trimmed to be really small, still keeping
10 > systemd inside.
11
12 FWIW, 9 MiB (8091136 bytes) uncompressed cpio here, dracut generated
13 including btrfs but with some of the normal dracut modules omitted.
14 *NOT* host-only mode as I experienced some bugs with host-only
15 (apparently now fixed but I had already done my manual module setup
16 so...).
17
18 I'm only running an initramfs at all because some kernels ago when I
19 originally setup my (dual-device raid1 mode) btrfs rootfs, the kernel
20 command-line parser couldn't properly parse rootflags=device= ,
21 apparently due to splitting at the wrong equal-sign, so the only way I
22 could mount rootfs direct from the kernel commandline was in degraded
23 mode. =:^( I'm not sure if that has been fixed or not, but I have the
24 initramfs setup and working now, so it's not so pressing to find out.
25 Anyway, I expect that someday I'll be able to omit that and go back to a
26 direct (initr*less) kernel commandline root=/rootflags= boot.
27
28 > Lets be clear: udev is *fully* merged into systemd. The share *code*.
29 > They are the *same project*. But udev can run without systemd, and that
30 > is not going to change. If anyone says otherwise, they are spreading
31 > FUD.
32
33 Like some of the other broken promises, including keeping it separate
34 tarballs, because (break-reason straight from the horse's mouth) they
35 don't care about source-based distros.
36
37 >> However, with the introduction of kdbus and other changes, I'm
38 >> wondering if they'll decide they might as well shoehorn systemd onto
39 >> the initramfs as well, and will then subsume the full udev binary as
40 >> well...
41 >
42 > Systemd is already "shoehorned" into my initramfs, and it works great,
43 > thank you very much. I don't understand what you mean by "subsume the
44 > full udev binary as well".
45
46 I suspect that after kdbus gets into wide use, they'll decide that they
47 no longer need a separate udev at all, and despite promises to the
48 contrary, it'll be so integrated into systemd (possibly even as a single
49 binary, thus the subsumed wording) that only forks such as eudev will
50 allow use of the one without the other.
51
52 Yes it'll break the promise, but they've already demonstrated they're
53 willing to do that.
54
55 >> (This said as an openrc user at least for the time being... even
56 >> apparently one of the only people actually running the live-git
57 >> openrc-9999, or at least all the bugs filed on it seem to be mine.
58 >> I've suspected for some time that I'll eventually switch to systemd,
59 >> but was at least originally hoping to avoid it until it quits actively
60 >> blackholing nearly everything it comes across and had some reasonable
61 >> time to stabilize without gobbling something else up. But when that'll
62 >> be... who knows? And I'm getting an itch to try it one of these days,
63 >> or at least seriously read up on it with a view to _consider_ trying
64 >> it,
65 >> tho if I do it'll likely still be against my better judgment, since I
66 >> don't see it really stabilizing any time soon and I had originally
67 >> planned to wait for that. So I guess I sort of fall in the middle in
68 >> this debate.)
69 >
70 > If you run OpenRC live, I think you'll be fine running systemd, even
71 > 209/210, which introduced so many changes I've been waiting to upgrade
72 > my systems.
73
74 Interesting note there: At the last upgrade I had a dracut -rX bump and
75 the udev-210 bump, but dracut had a blocker on udev-210. I'd have
76 already updated if I wasn't running an initr*, but based on the blocker
77 introduction changelog wording, current dracut can't see some of the
78 moved udev files (didn't pay attention to exactly what, just decided to
79 mask 210 for now and get on with life, as 208 seems to be working fine
80 for me ATM) and thus doesn't include them, thus the blocker until dracut
81 gets updated to look in the new locations as well.
82
83 > Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
84
85 I'd normally need a block of several days in a row off in ordered to do
86 the necessary research (I intend to read most of the systemd for sysadmins
87 guide, plus whatever gentoo-specific stuff is available, I won't upgrade
88 until I understand at least the underlying theory in enough depth to be
89 sufficiently comfortable dealing with a recovery from boot-failure
90 situation, tho I recognize the real comfort only comes with practice).
91
92 Since I'm doing overtime most weeks ATM, that's not likely short-term. I
93 could do some of the research ahead of time, but I have to be in the
94 right mood and not too tired to grok what I'm reading. I'm not a 20-year-
95 old college student any more, and I can't so easily properly integrate
96 entirely new knowledge on two hours sleep as I used to, back then. =:^(
97
98 But based on previous experience once I get in this sort of impatient "I
99 wonder..." mood about an anticipated switch, I usually find myself
100 actually trying it within a few months, so chances are I'll either be
101 switched over, or alternatively have some solid experience and concrete
102 answers as to why either it or me aren't ready for that, quite likely
103 before year's end, and very possibly within 1H2014. No hurry, but that's
104 what previous experience suggests for timing once I start thinking about
105 it like this, none-the-less.
110 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman