From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: Re: libungif and giflib conflict.
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 23:12:50
1 Harm Geerts posted <200511022259.51970.harmgeerts@××××.nl>, excerpted
2 below, on Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:59:51 +0100:
3
4 > On Wednesday 02 November 2005 21:54, Duncan wrote:
5 >> Hmm... That --noreplace is a new one on me. I normally simply
6 >>
7 >> echo <category/pkg> >> /var/lib/portage/world
8 >>
9 >> Newer versions of portage (don't believe it's in stable portage yet) even
10 >> have an emaint command that removes the bad lines for you.
11 >
12 > So did I, but now the warning `emerge depclean` produces tells me I can use
13 > this. I find this rather nice as it is a lot safer and keeps the world file
14 > free from user errors. For example replacing >> with > would be the most
15 > destructive user error :P
16 > I have portage 2.0.53_rc7 installed and I'm not sure which version introduced
17 > --noreplace so it might not be available for everyone yet.
18
19 I'm still on rc6, so I guess I need to sync and emerge -uD world.
20 However, it's probably in rc6 too, only I didn't notice it in the warning
21 (<sheepish> as I don't read it as I know what the warning is about... only
22 they added something! </sheepish>).
23
24 Not here, forgetting the second > in >> wouldn't be destructive! I think
25 this hint was featured in GWN a while back (yes, it was, comments are good
26 things! =8^):
27
28 -- snip --
29
30 # Based on a tips & tricks GWN feature.
31 # Makes redirection to an existing file an error.
32 # Use >> instead of > to append, or >| if overwriting is desired.
33 set -o noclobber
34
35 -- snip --
36
37 Put that in your .bashrc or whatever (my /etc/profile and .bashrc and all
38 that are rather seriously customized, here, it's a file called
39 noclobber.sh in /etc/profile.d/, but my bashrcs and profiles source
40 everything in /etc/profile.d/ so it's added to them).
41
42 That way, using > to redirect to an existing file produces an error saying
43 it already exists. The comment gives the solution, use >> to append, or
44 use >| to force-overwrite the file.
45
46 So... "echo whatever > /var/lib/portage/world" would NOT "be the end of my
47 world" here! (double entendre/entente)
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
53 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
57 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list