From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: stale files clean
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:12:06
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560711260753u4406ae26m88f6f53164332ebb@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:53:19 +0100:
4
5 > i'd like to do a thorough clean of my system, since i still get some
6 > problems with orphaned and stale files. is there a script or something
7 > that could help me do this?! i usually do manual remove when i remove a
8 > package from the system but this is getting more and more time losing.
9 > so if there's an automated way i'd be glad to try it out.
10 >
11 > thanks in advance for your replies.
12
13 Current portage (~ anyway, stable isn't what I'd call "current" for many
14 packages, so I run ~arch by default) now has FEATURES=unmerge-orphans.
15 Read about it in the make.conf manpage. That helps with files that were
16 part of the old package but were changed since merge, as long as they
17 aren't config-protected as well. This feature may eventually be enabled
18 by default, but it hasn't been yet, because there are some files that
19 portage didn't formerly track that it is now, that would be removed with
20 this feature enabled in some circumstances.
21
22 That'll help with new files, but it won't help you clean up old cruft
23 that isn't owned by anything now, or config-protected stuff as in /etc.
24
25 There's also a python script called localpurge (aka orphans.py)
26 available, written by Alec Warner (one of the portage devs), that can
27 help. As with emerge --depclean and similar functions, use it with
28 caution, in this case meaning do NOT run it as root on /, with the force/
29 remove/recurse options all three! Used with the default --scan option
30 (and --recurse if desired), however, it simply prints a list that you can
31 act upon, or you can use --remove WITHOUT using --force, and get a prompt
32 for each file. However, as with emerge --depclean and revdep-rebuild, I
33 strongly prefer getting the list and then doing the remerges/removals/
34 whatever manually. Run it with the --help option for usage instructions.
35
36 http://dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/orphans.py
37
38 One hint on it. It doesn't say so in the usage, but if recursive is set,
39 it walks the entire tree below the dirs it is given -- and takes quite
40 some time doing it. Thus, pointing it at / on a typical system is a
41 waste, since you get all of /home and the like listed too. It's more
42 useful to feed it a list of dirs, /bin /sbin /var /usr /opt /etc, and let
43 it look below them. It'll still list a lot of "extra" stuff, but at
44 least you won't be loading it down with /root and /home, and it'll be
45 faster as a result, too. It'll still take awhile to run, tho...
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list