From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: not amd64 specific - disk failure
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:07:15
1 Beso wrote:
2 >
3 > to get an aligned image. Problem is I don't know what bs= should be.
4 > Block size, so 4k?
7 > this should tell you what the block size is:
8 > df /dev/sdc
11 Beso,
12
13 the block size in the filesystem is 4k, this I know having formatted a
14 second HD with same sized partition as failed HD.
15
16 I don't know how much data I should tell dd to skip (and NULL=fill) in
17 case of read error. From the dd output I only know there is a read error
18 and only 32kbyte were transferred, but I have no idea how big was the
19 block of data dd was trying to access.
20
21 But probably, as Duncan suggests, this is not important. dd will try to
22 access a block size as specified on the command line, and if error
23 occurs it will zero-fill and jump to next block of data, but this size
24 it totally unrelated with the _filesystem_ block size.
25
26 raffaele
27 --
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list