From: Toby Fisher <toby@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Migrating to ~amd64 revisitted.
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:57:36
1 Hi all.
2
3 First, thanks to all those who responded to my query last week regarding
4 migrating from amd64 to ~amd64. Well, it all went to plan, well nearly, I
5 managed to trash /var (we won't go into how that happened, suffice to say it
6 won't happen again). This in one sense made it easier because Portage
7 thought it had no packages at all, so I just installed what I wanted and I
8 do now have a functional ~amd64 system - most of the compiles were done
9 overnight so no time was really wasted. However, I do have one problem. I
10 can't seem to persuade Sandbox to compile. It bombs out in the configure
11 stage complaining that the c compiler cannot create executables. Now I know
12 this to be untrue as I've compiled my complete system with no troubles,
13 except for Sandbox. I had to get around the problem by emerging a binary
14 package of Sandbox-1.2.9 (~amd64 wants 1.2.13) provided by a friend of mine
15 running amd64. It doesn't seem to have broken anything but I am concerned
16 as this problem will only rear its ugly head again the next time I want to
17 perform a system update. Any ideas anyone? If it helps, looking at the
18 config log it seems to be building stuff for ABI32 and 64, and for the
19 former it is using a libdir of /usr/lib32. This is the only thing I can see
20 that might be causing the problem; and yes, I am running a multi-lib set-up.
21
22 Thanks in advance,
23
24 Toby